Sunday, May 5, 2013

Wiesberger Pips Els By One At CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, May 5 - Bernd Wiesberger of Austria sealed a dramatic win at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters with a five-under-par 67 to defeat a persistent Ernie Els of South Africa by one-shot on Sunday.

Wiesberger won his second title in Asia courtesy of some exquisite ball striking as he totaled 15-under-par 273 at the US$750,000 Asian Tour event which was staged at the majestic Royale Jakarta Golf Club.

CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters Champion 2013, Bernd Wiesberger (Center) celebrates his -15 win together with Arwin Rasyid – President Director CIMB Niaga (Left) and H.E. Roy Suryo – Minister of Youth and Sport (Right) during the Prize Giving Ceremony at Royale Jakarta Golf Club. Photo by Colin Dunjohn/IMPL

Els, the reigning Open Championship winner, settled for second place after carding 68 while overnight leader Daisuke Kataoka of Japan claimed third place with a round of 70 to finish on 275. Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand was a further three shots back in fourth after registering 69.

The towering Wiesberger, whose coach Philippe De Busschere is based at Cengkareng Golf Club in Indonesia, credited his acute iron play for his victory and dedicated the win to his grandfather who passed away a year ago.

“I was struggling in the beginning after my birdie on one. But at the turn I got a bit of momentum going because I was confident with my ball striking,” said Wiesberger, who finished seventh last year and went on to win in Korea.

He made the turn in 34 but tightened his grip on the third edition of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters with an eagle three on the 12th hole.

“It was good to hole the eagle and it was nice that Ernie (who also eagled the same hole) stayed in touch. He wouldn’t let go and that’s why he is such a great champion. It was a good time to do that and it got my round going,” he smiled.


Crowds gather around hole 18 while the final puts are made at Royale Jakarta Golf Club

Els, ranked 24th in the world, was one-over after five holes but put on a battling display with birdies on six and nine followed by an eagle three on 12 which he putted from 30 feet from the fringe. He birdied the last to finish sole second.

“I played and fought hard. I wasn’t quite at my best but had a good time. I didn’t hit my iron shots close enough especially at the start. I was one over through five holes and had to battle back all the time,” said Els.

“A win would have been unbelievable but second is not all that bad. This has given me something and it shows my game is going in the right direction. I’m starting to feel really good about my game.”

The South African tipped his hat to Wiesberger, who he played with in the opening two days and on the final round. “I think Bernd played better than all of us. I played with him for three rounds and I think he deserves to win.”

Kataoka, who has never led in a tournament before, felt nervous on the first tee but managed to pull-off his best performance since turning professional in 2007. His third place result matched his career’s best on the Asian Tour at the 2011 Taiwan Masters.

“I’m not disappointed with how I played this week. I played very well and hit a lot of good shots. When we teed off, I felt very nervous but I told myself not to be nervous and to try and concentrate on my game. I didn’t sleep very well last night!” he smiled.

He hopes the experience of playing with multiple Major champion Els will provide him with the impetus to lead him to a first victory on the region’s premier Tour which is celebrating its 10th season this year.

“I had a good experience this week. I led for the first time in a tournament and it was fantastic to play with Bernd Wiesberger and Ernie Els. If I can continue to keep up with this consistency then I think my first win will come very soon,” said the 24-year-old.

Andik Mauludin, Indonesia's lone representative in the final rounds, saw his game completely fall apart after making the cut. After a disappointing 80 yesterday, he carded an 81 in the final round, finishing 7 behind the rest of the field.

Pak Arwin Rasyid, President Director of CIMB Niaga was delighted with the third staging of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters as it has grown into Indonesia’s most prestigious golfing event.

"When CIMB Niaga became the title sponsor to the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters in 2012, we wanted to be part of an event that is the nation’s most prestigious. I stand here today proudly to say, we have achieved our goal. Thanks to the support of the other event partners and of course, you, the golfing fans, we see the end of yet another fantastic edition of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters. We have certainly seen golf at it’s finest over the past four days and Congratulations to Wiesberger for his spectacular win today. It was an exciting finish and you certainly earned yourself the title of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Master 2013!"

Scores after round 4 of the CIMB NIAGA Indonesian Masters (Par 72):

273 - Bernd WIESBERGER (AUT) 67-72-67-67

274 - Ernie ELS (RSA) 68-70-68-68
275 - Daisuke KATAOKA (JPN) 70-69-66-70

278 - Thongchai JAIDEE (THA) 69-65-75-69

280 - Angelo QUE (PHI) 70-70-70-70, Ryan MCCARTHY (AUS) 70-70-70-70, MO Joong-kyung (KOR) 72-69-68-71

281 - Unho PARK (AUS) 68-72-70-71, HWANG Inn-choon (KOR) 66-74-70-71, Jake HIGGINBOTTOM (AUS) 69-69-71-72, Rahil GANGJEE (IND) 71-69-69-72

Selected:

306 - Andik Mauludin (INA) 73-72-80-81

No comments:

Post a Comment