Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Clarke Ready To Bounce Back From Injury At CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, April 30 - Darren Clarke of Northern Ireland hopes to make a winning debut at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters, which starts on Thursday, and make amends for missing the Masters Tournament in April.

The 2011 Open Championship winner, who pulled a hamstring while playing tennis with his children in the Bahamas five weeks ago, leads an elite cast of stars including Ernie Els of South Africa at the US$750,000 Asian Tour event.

“I was playing tennis with my kids and I thought I was 24 and not 44! Unfortunately I had to pull-out from Augusta and Korea last week. It has been a frustrating period. I’m not good at sitting and not doing anything. I’ve had intensive treatment on my hamstring and it is fine now,” said Clarke.

“I couldn’t do anything. I could hardly walk, hit golf balls or putt. I had to sit at home and watch (The Masters). I think Adam Scott was good after what happened at The Open last year. The way Angel Cabrera played was fantastic as well. Augusta is a very special place and I miss being there.

“I only watched the last round on television because if I watched every day, then I would have been frustrated. I was supposed to be there but I couldn’t,” said the 2011 Open Championship winner.

He hopes some advice from two-time Indonesian Masters winner Lee Westwood of England, will guide him to victory on the region’s premier Tour which is celebrating its 10th season this year.

“I’ve had some good time in Asia. I’ve missed the heat here as well! I haven’t played here before but Lee has told me bits and pieces about the golf course. The greens and fairways are sensational here. It is set up tough but fair as well. It will be a good, fair and stern test,” he said.

“I’ve been practicing hard at home but it is a little bit different compared to playing in Asia. My swing is okay but I’m still a bit rusty. I haven’t played since March. It was no choice of my own but unfortunately it is the way it is,” he lamented.

Bernd Wiesberger of Austria, ranked 83rd in the world, was delighted to return to the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters where he finished tied seventh last year and went on to win in Korea.

“I’ve worked on my game to get more consistent. I’m making a lot of cuts which shows that I’m going in the right direction. I’m trying to make a step up in every part of my game to get into contention and win tournaments,” said Wiesberger.

Former Asian Tour Order of Merit winner Simon Dyson of England, who won the 2006 Indonesia Open, is determined to continue his winning ways in the country.

“I have good memories here. My game is better now but I got off to a very slow start. My confidence was a bit low but I’ve been playing good in the last few weeks. My game is getting better and my confidence is growing,” he said.
“I didn’t play much last year. I took some time off because my wife gave birth to my first child and I had two really bad injuries. It is nice to finish 50th on the Order of Merit in your bad year. I’ve spent a lot of time at home and I’m pleased I did because I saw my child growing up,” he smiled.

John Daly of the United States withdrew from the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters due to a family matter. He apologizes to both fans and sponsors and hopes to be able to visit Indonesia in the future.

The CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters will host two golf clinics for the public on May 4 (Saturday) and May 5 (Sunday) at 12 noon. There will also be a Trick Golf Performance by Paul Barrington at 3pm on Friday at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment