Saturday, May 4, 2013

Els And Wiesberger Chasing Unheralded Kataoka At CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, May 4 - Little known Japanese Daisuke Kataoka shot a solid six-under-par 66 to lead by one-shot over a relentless Ernie Els of South Africa and Austrian Bernd Wiesberger in the third round of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters on Saturday.

Kataoka birdied the last two holes for 11-under-par 205 to steal the limelight from reigning Open Championship winner Els, who shot a 68 at the US$750,000 full field Asian Tour event.

Wiesberger, who finished tied seventh in last year’s edition, carded a 67 to stay in the title hunt while Asian Tour rookie Richard T. Lee of Canada was a further shot back in fourth place after he signed for a 67 at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club.

Bernd Wiesberger teeing of from hole 18 in the third round of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters. Picture: Daniel S/IndoGolf

The 24-year-old Kataoka shot the best round of the day highlighted by eight birdies against two bogeys to lead an Asian Tour tournament for the first time since turning professional in 2007.

“I’m striking the ball very good. My putting was normal on the first two days but it was great today. I never changed anything, somehow I just felt more confident with my putting. I’ve mastered the speed of the greens and that made my round slightly easier,” said Kataoka, an Asian Tour member since 2011.

The Japanese hopes to preserve his lead and win his first Asian Tour victory but knows that it will be a close call as four other players are within four shots of his lead.

“This is the first time I’m leading a tournament. When I looked at the scores, I saw many good players chasing me so I hope to have some luck to win! It won’t be easy,” said the Japanese, who played baseball before reverting to golf.

South Africa’s Els bounced back from jet-lag to shoot five birdies, including one on the last, against one bogey to put himself in prime position of winning his first title this year.

“My body felt good and my concentration was pretty good as well. I just try to hang in there. I hit a lot of good shots, missed a lot of putts and in the end I grinded out a 68,” said Els, who has won over 60 titles worldwide.

“I was pretty consistent the whole day. I played well and it was one of those days where I tried to stay in the tournament. I was trying to get to 12-under but that didn’t quite happen. I’m one shot behind and I just wanted to stay in the mix which I managed to do.”

The world number 24 was surprised to be in contention as overnight leader Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand slipped back to tied sixth place following a 75.

“Thongchai played well yesterday but thankfully for us chasing him, he had a slow day and we now have a host of players that can win tomorrow. So it should be a great day. It’ll be tough to break away from the chasing pack and it’s important to stick to your game plan. It’ll be interesting to watch,” he smiled.

Wiesberger, winner of the 2012 Ballantine’s Championship in Korea, is confident his consistent ball-striking will guide him to victory.

“I’m pretty sure I’m one of the best ball strikers here so I know that I’m not going to miss a lot of fairways. I’m going to give myself lots of opportunities so I don’t see why I won’t win,” said the towering Austrian.

Thongchai struggled to stretch his overnight two-shot lead. He needs a top-three finish this week to jump inside of the top-60 on the Official World Golf Rankings and give himself a strong chance of qualifying for the U.S. Open next month.

Meanwhile Andik Mauludin, the only player from Indonesia who made the cut, had a disappointing round of 80, which puts him in 70th place with an aggregate of 226.

Scores after round 3 of the CIMB NIAGA Indonesian Masters (Par 72):

205 - Daisuke KATAOKA (JPN) 70-69-66

206 - Bernd WIESBERGER (AUT) 67-72-67, Ernie ELS (RSA) 68-70-68

207 - Richard T. LEE (CAN) 72-68-67

208 - HUNG Chien-yao (TPE) 70-68-70

209 - MO Joong-kyung (KOR) 72-69-68, Rahil GANGJEE (IND) 71-69-69, Shiv KAPUR (IND) 70-69-70, Jake HIGGINBOTTOM (AUS) 69-69-71, Thongchai JAIDEE (THA) 69-65-75

Selected:

226 - Andik MAULUDIN (INA) 73-72-80

No comments:

Post a Comment