Friday, June 28, 2013

Rory Hie Has Top Ten Finish In Sight At PGM-UMW Templer Park Masters

Kuala Lumpur, June 28 - Malaysia’s Nicholas Fung believes his decision to change his putter grip has paid off after he signed for a four-under-par 68 to snatch the third round lead from American Berry Henson at the PGM-UMW Templer Park Masters on Friday.

Fung enjoyed a blemish-free round at Templer Park Country Club as he marked his card with four birdies to enjoy a two-shot advantage over Henson at the RM200,000 (approximately US$65,000) Asian Development Tour (ADT) event.

Henson, who is playing on a sponsor’s invitation, signed for a 71 to let slip of his lead which he had held for the opening two rounds while another local hope Shaaban Hussin made his move up to third place after he matched his opening round’s best effort of a 67.

Fung, who is chasing his maiden ADT win this week, is hopeful he will seal his place in the winner’s circle as long as he continues to ride on his hot putter.

“I played solid today and it was nice to stay bogey free for the round. My four birdies were from close range and I got up and down from the bunker at the par three eighth hole to save par,” said Fung, who compiled a three-day total of 11-under-par 205.

“My aim tomorrow will be to try to make as many birdies as possible. I’m quite happy with my putting this week. Over the months, I’ve kept changing putters and this week, I changed the grip which seems to work. I’m going to keep this one for a while,” added Fung.

The reigning Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour Order of Merit winner is however wary of the title credentials of his closest rivals and is determined to do his best.

“Berry is an experienced player while Shaaban also has a chance tomorrow. I’m going to try my best to win my first ADT event,” said Fung.

Henson was meanwhile left to reflect on a disappointing round.

The American, who enjoyed a sensational rookie season in 2011 where he won his first ADT title before going on to earn a superb breakthrough on the Asian Tour by winning the 2011 ICTSI Philippine Open, however believes he can surmount a late comeback to clinch the title.

“I came out flat today and my short game wasn’t sharp. We played with the ball down today (no preferred lie) which made it quite difficult for me. Nicholas played solid and I don’t think he made a bogey. But I’m not out of it. I’ve got the potential to make a lot of birdies tomorrow,” said Henson.

Shaaban, who won an event in Penang a fortnight ago, also believes the contest is far from over. The Malaysian knows he is 18 holes away from securing another victory if he remains patient and not get ahead of himself.

“I’ve got try to shoot another low round to give myself a chance of winning. My form is still good as I won in Penang two weeks ago. My body still feels warm and I think I will have a chance,” said Shaaban.

“Everything worked for me. It was a very good round. I made a 30 footer on 16 for birdie which was the best putt of the day,” added the Malaysian.

Meanwhile Rory Hie, Indonesia's top ranked player, made a jump on the leaderboard from 30 to 16 after carding another round of 72, just 2 shots shy of a top 10 position.

Leading third round scores

205- Nicholas FUNG (MAS) 67-70-68

207- Berry HENSON (USA) 66-70-71

208 – Shaaban HUSSIN (MAS) 67-74-67

209- Michael TRAN (VIE) 68-71-70

212 – Zurie HARUN (MAS) 75-70-67

213 – Kodai ICHIHARA (JPN) 72-69-72

214 – James BOWEN (USA) 69-70-75

216 – Timothy LOW (SIN) 73-71-72, Sukree OTHMAN (MAS) 72-71-73, S. Murthy (MAS) 71-72-73

Selected:

218 – Rory HIE (INA) 74-72-72

No comments:

Post a Comment