Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Home Hope Hie Eyes Victory At Indonesia Open Presented By Enjoy Jakarta



Jakarta, July 12: Local hero Rory Hie, with a runner-up finish on home soil already under his belt this season, is ready to rumble at this week’s US$1 million Indonesia Open presented by Enjoy Jakarta.

Hie energized the country’s golf fans with second place behind Australia’s Andre Stolz in the Indonesia PGA Championship, the season-opening event on OneAsia.

The ultra-talented 22 year old led going into the final round before Stolz pipped him for the title by a stroke.

Hie would love to put himself in a similar position and this time seal the win at the Indonesia Open presented by Enjoy Jakarta at Damai Indah Golf - Pantai Indah Kapuk Course.

“I feel like I am in control of my game. I have been working very hard, particularly on my tempo. I have a tendency to swing too fast. I worked a bit with Andrew Argus in Kuala Lumpur two weeks ago but most of the time I practice with my dad in Jakarta,” said the Indonesian.

The rising star finished in a tie for ninth at the Negeri Sembilan Masters Invitational on Sunday on the ASEAN PGA Tour and is in confident frame of mind.

“I feel like I can hit all the fairways and greens in regulation. Of course it doesn’t always happen that way but at least that is how I feel which is a very positive sign. It has been a very good year so far. Much better than last year’s scenario when I struggled,” he added.

He faces a big challenge as the tournament has attracted a stellar field, including a posse of proven winners.

Defending champion Michael Hendry of New Zealand, OneAsia number one Liang Wenchong of China, Japanese legend Shigeki Maruyama, Irishman Paul McGinley, fresh from a top-15 finish in the Barclays Scottish Open, and multiple winner Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand are among the favourites.

The Thai duo of Chawalit Plaphol and Kiradech Aphibarnat, both winners in Asia this season, and leading Malaysian Danny Chia will also tee it up from July 14-17.

Hie knows that there is a lot of expectation for him to perform well in his home Open and he hopes to deliver a victory.

A former University of Southern California All-American and number six-ranked amateur in the world, Hie felt that all the ingredients were there for a win at the Indonesia PGA Championship.

“I really thought it was going to be my week. I had prepared so hard. However, I am proud of the way I finished the round and the final day was a great learning experience,” said Hie, who won a career-high US$102,000.



No comments:

Post a Comment