Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Westwood To Play In Indonesia As He Looks To Reclaim Top Slot

Lee Westwood has confirmed he will play in the Indonesian Masters in April.

The Worksop golf, who was knocked off the top of the World Rankings by the German Martin Kaymer, following the Accenture Match Play Championship in Tucson, will play in the $750,000 tournament at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club from April 21 to 24.

The 37-year-old Ryder Cup star remains in America this week to play in the Honda Classic, as he attempts to regain his place at the top of the rankings.

In his role as an ambassador of the game, Westwood is aware of his responsibility when he accepted the Asian Tour's invitation to play in Jakarta.

"I am hoping I can help lift the profile of the game in Indonesia," he said. "It should be a pretty strong field and, with our guys doing so well in the World Rankings, it will add a lot of media interest to the event.

"They want to promote golf in the country and that's what we will be looking to help them with."

Four years ago, Westwood visited the country when he played in the Pertamina Indonesia President Invitational, where he finished third.

"I'm excited about going back," he said. "I want to see how things have progressed since 2007.

"I keep hearing good things and I know the game has improved in the country.

"I've been coming to play in Asia for many years so I'm looking forward to getting back over there.

"Overall everything is better. We now have Asian players taking on and beating the best of the world.

"These players can win in any given week and with the people in Asia watching, they will want to do well in this competition.

"If you look at the World Rankings, they are making progress all the time and I would think, in time, they will have a golfer good enough to be the world No. 1. If it's not from this generation then, hopefully, some of these young kids watching these players will one day be good enough.

"That's what I will be trying to do, spread the word to these youngsters and get them involved in the game of golf."

Westwood played a lot of his early professional career representing the Malaysian Tourist Board and actually won the B&H Malaysian Open in 1997.

So, he knows what it takes to win in that intense heat.

He said: "I would love to win the tournament,

"That's my ambition every time I tee up, no matter where I'm playing in the world.

"But it's getting harder all the time. The Asian Tour and the Indonesian players are getting better and it will not be easy.

"It's never easy to go to play and win in different places so I have to be in top form.

"There will be a lot of pressure on me but I try not to put too many expectations on myself, and just try to play my best."

No comments:

Post a Comment